- April 2, 2021
What Do Aboveground Storage Tanks Hold?
Aboveground storage tank, commonly abbreviated AST, or field erected tanks refers to a tank that has the capacity to store 55 gallons or more of liquid or gas substances and that is partially or entirely above the surface of the ground. These substances can range from food-based to petroleum to various chemical products. One of the many standards that apply to aboveground storage tanks is API 653. However, aboveground storage tanks used for storing petroleum are regulated primarily under 40 CFR 112.
The shell or construction capacity of the aboveground tank is its storage capacity. The shell of a tank may be greater than the actual amount of petroleum that a facility stores in that tank on a regular basis. The rated design or shell capacity of a tank, not the amount of petroleum actually contained, must be counted. ASTs are very safe when properly designed and operated.
Aboveground storage tanks are omnipresent across various industries today including manufacturing, transportation, oil & gas (production, refining, exploration, and distribution), technology, construction, mining, and food and beverage to name a few.
Usage of aboveground storage tanks :
- Petroleum, waste matter, water, chemicals, and other hazardous materials can all be contained in aboveground storage tanks that conform to strict industry requirements and regulations.
- These containers are used for a variety of things, such as storing oil before it is used, when it is being used, and before it is distributed in commerce.
- Businesses that often need to fuel company cars, construction vehicles, lawn mowing equipment, and power tools may benefit from aboveground storage tanks.
Aboveground storage tank maintenance guidelines and precautions :
- Preventing releases requires routine maintenance of AST systems.
- To prevent releases and reduce fire risks, precautionary steps should be taken during deliveries.
- Overfill systems should be inspected regularly to ensure proper function and service.
- Aboveground storage tank requires a monthly walk-through inspection (by in-house personnel) and a yearly inspection of the tank monitoring system by a certified inspector.
How to select an aboveground storage tank?
Before you purchase an AST it is important to make sure that the following requirements are met for the location and type of fuel stored:
- Tanks installed outdoors must have a UL listing for exterior installation.
- Secondary containment must have 110% capacity of the primary.
- Double-walled tanks provide secondary containment and eliminate rainwater and snow collection.
- Tanks that store diesel does not require a 2-hour fire rating since the flashpoint is higher than 100F.
- Tanks that store gasoline must have a 2-hour fire rating.
When it comes to aboveground storage tanks, fibreglass water tanks, or industrial storage tanks, there’s no one more experienced, qualified, or dedicated to safety and quality than GSC Tanks. GSC Tanks has a complete offering of aboveground products that will simplify installation and ensure compliance at a variety of AST applications. Whether your aboveground application is used for fleet fueling, running a diesel generator, operating an oil-fired boiler, or storing emergency fuel storage, GSC Tanks’ is there to provide industry-leading convenience, lowest cost of ownership, and peace of mind.
- Above Ground Storage tanks
- Above Ground Fuel Tanks
- Above Ground Storage Tanks
- Above Ground Water Storage Tanks
- Chemical storage Tanks
- Diesel Fuel Storage Tanks
- Diesel Storage Tanks
- Exernal FloatingRoof Tanks
- Farm Water Tank
- Fiberglass Oil Tanks
- Fiberglass Septic Tanks
- Fiberglass Underground Fuel Storage Tanks
- Field Erected Tanks
- Floating Roof Tank
- Fuel tank
- Industrial Chemical Storage Tanks
- Industrial Gas Tanks
- Industrial Plastic Tanks
- Industrial Storage Tanks
- Natural gas
- Oil Storage Tanks
- Peracitic Acid
- Petroleum Tanks
- Residential gasoline storage tanks
- Residential Water Storage Tanks
- Sodium Hydroxide Storage Requirements
- Sodium Hypochlorite Storage Tanks
- Storage Tanks
- Sulfuric Acid Tanks
- UnderGround Storage Tanks
- Water Storage Tanks