- December 17, 2018
Underground Storage Tank Inspection Checklist
The Federal Energy Act of 2005 has made the mandatory and frequent inspection of Underground Storage Tanks (UST) have become even more important. With the state providing more funds for the purpose, such inspections are carried out by the members of the Environment Protection Division (EPD).
The inspections are carried out with the specific purposes of recording all aspects of the inspection. This includes the release of the detection tests and proper documentation of the subsequent repairs that are carried out.
Inspection includes on on-going test reports
The EPD has formatted a standard checklist that they tick off on completion of an onsite inspection of a typical UST.
This is recorded and documented for all future references and subsequent use to maintain the stipulated standard performance of any UST. The standard checklist form can be downloaded by those coming for inspection.
Download the checklist
The current checklist and all other necessary information are available at http://www.epa.gov/OUST/. It is necessary that you be able to follow the checklist stipulations all through the year as most of them are part of on-going process and not just an one-time requirement.
This means that you have to use the checklist periodically to remain in compliance with the state stipulations concerning UST inspection.
Each time that you carry out any changes in equipment and parts, repairs and upgrades, they must be noted in the checklist. This is necessary to document that you comply with all the operation and maintenance guidelines being compliant with all guidelines.
Following these processes meticulously will ensure that your investment remains protected as does human health and the environment at large.
Essential documentation checklist
This apart, there are several documents that you will have to provide the inspector during the inspection process. These include:
• Proof of all financial responsibility issued by the Department of Revenue at time of Business License application or its renewal
• One or more copies of the registration form of the UST
• Notification and certification of any new UST installations within 30 days of installation completion.
• Notification of any change in the tank status including permanent or any temporary closure within maximum
of 30 days of such an occurrence. Temporarily-closed tanks have separate listings and they are endorsed as on
“hold” in the official UST database.
• Rectifier log of the Cathodic Protection System when applicable. The log should demonstrate test pass results and
be perfectly operational. Any steel tank that was not upgraded in 1998 has to be closed permanently. Any tank or
piping that is not cathodically protected currently or without an upgrade of the piping is likely to face a
Notice of Delivery Prohibition.
• Examination reports of UST system components that include all repair records for the spill prevention systems,
the overfill prevention systems, dispenser nozzles, drop tubes, gauging sticks, dispenser hoses and all allied
• The latest Tank Tightness Testing (TTT) records
• The latest Line Tightness Testing (LTT)
• Reports of the Automatic Line Leak Detector Test (ALLD)
• Scheduled monthly record of all inventory
• All Statistical Inventory Reconciliation (SIR) records
• All Automatic Tank Gauge (ATG) reports
• The latest Corrosion Protection Testing reports
- Storage tanks
- Storage tanks checklist
- Underground Storage Tanks
- Above Ground Fuel Tanks
- Above Ground Storage Tanks
- Above Ground Water Storage Tanks
- Chemical storage Tanks
- Diesel Fuel Storage Tanks
- Diesel Storage Tanks
- Exernal FloatingRoof Tanks
- Farm Water Tank
- Fiberglass Oil Tanks
- Fiberglass Septic Tanks
- Fiberglass Underground Fuel Storage Tanks
- Field Erected Tanks
- Floating Roof Tank
- Fuel tank
- Industrial Chemical Storage Tanks
- Industrial Gas Tanks
- Industrial Plastic Tanks
- Industrial Storage Tanks
- Natural gas
- Oil Storage Tanks
- Peracitic Acid
- Petroleum Tanks
- Residential gasoline storage tanks
- Residential Water Storage Tanks
- Sodium Hydroxide Storage Requirements
- Sodium Hypochlorite Storage Tanks
- Storage Tanks
- Sulfuric Acid Tanks
- UnderGround Storage Tanks
- Water Storage Tanks