- December 15, 2020
A Short Guide On Above-Ground Storage Tank Requirements
Above-ground storage tanks essentially refer to humongous reservoirs manufactured from fiberglass reinforced plastic, cross-linked polyethylene or XLPE, and alloys like steel or stainless steel.
Starting from gasoline, compressed gases, and petrochemical products to fuel, the above-ground industrial storage tanks are manufactured to store a wide range of chemicals in an environment-friendly and safe manner.
There are specific recommendations made by the American Petroleum Institute or API for minimizing the likelihood of lightning hazards along with ensuring electrical isolation in the above-ground storage tanks.
So, it’s essential to understand the above-ground storage tank requirements.
In this blog, we have discussed them in general:-
- If grounding lugs are required, then at least four of them must be provided, and each should be spaced at not more than a distance of hundred feet.
- All conductive components of open-top above-ground storage tanks with floating roofs must be grounded, and their uppermost seal should be equipped with shunts.
- All conductive components of fixed cone roof above-ground storage tanks that come with internal floating roofs must be grounded, and either shunts or cable should be employed for creating the grounding pathway between shell and roof.
- Limit the flow rate to not more than three feet per second for reducing the buildup of static electricity.
- Position the fill pipe outlet in close proximity to the tank bottom to prevent splash filling.
- Ground all gauge wells and gauging equipment.
- The fluid surface should not be interrupted by jets and mixers.
- The floating roof of the above-ground industrial storage tanks should be bonded to their shell.
- All metal components of the fixed-roof above-ground storage tanks should remain in electrical contact.
- All openings of the fixed-roof tanks, such as the gauge hatches, should be closed.
- Ensure that the fixed roof is not devoid of required thickness and does not contain any excessively thinned zones or holes of any kind.
- Install pressurized vacuum vents for providing backflash if there are instances of exterior flames.
- Immobilize the tank and ensure that it is completely stationary in the event of electrical storms.
- Properly designed shunts and tight seals offer the best protection from ignition in open floating roof above-ground storage tanks.
- Shunts for floating roof tanks must not be spaced more than ten feet (two inches of width by twenty-eight gauge made of 302 # stainless steel).
- Shunts must maintain a minimum of two inches space from the shell top for positive contact.
- Pontoon covers should be armed with mechanical hold-downs in floating roof above-ground storage tanks.
- The floating roof should remain above the landing position, during electrical storms, in particular.
- Floating roofs must be bonded to the tank shells by electrical means in the above-ground storage tanks with internal floating roofs.
- Ensure adequate venting in accordance with API 650 Appendix H.
So, here was a complete discussion on above-ground storage tank requirements. Call us now for any queries and to know them in detail from our qualified team of specialists.
- above ground storage tank requirements
- Above Ground Storage tanks
- Above Ground Fuel Tanks
- Above Ground Storage Tanks
- Above Ground Water Storage Tanks
- Chemical storage Tanks
- Diesel Fuel Storage Tanks
- Diesel Storage Tanks
- Exernal FloatingRoof Tanks
- Farm Water Tank
- Fiberglass Oil Tanks
- Fiberglass Septic Tanks
- Fiberglass Underground Fuel Storage Tanks
- Field Erected Tanks
- Floating Roof Tank
- Fuel tank
- Industrial Chemical Storage Tanks
- Industrial Gas Tanks
- Industrial Plastic Tanks
- Industrial Storage Tanks
- Natural gas
- Oil Storage Tanks
- Peracitic Acid
- Petroleum Tanks
- Residential gasoline storage tanks
- Residential Water Storage Tanks
- Sodium Hydroxide Storage Requirements
- Sodium Hypochlorite Storage Tanks
- Storage Tanks
- Sulfuric Acid Tanks
- UnderGround Storage Tanks
- Water Storage Tanks